Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Wednesday 4 September, 2013

Hello and welcome back to another school year at Port Guichon.  Students moved into their new classes this morning and I am very excited to get started right away!!

This blog will be used primarily to help parents stay in touch with what assignments are on-going and which have been given due dates.  Sometimes an assignment will be assigned on one day and due the next day.  In other cases, for example larger projects, I will provide a due date which might be several weeks away.  I hope to have the students work towards independently managing their time to complete short- and long-term projects.  Of course, ample school time will be given for any project of this nature.

I will give time at the end of each school day for your child to fill out his or her planner.  You should expect that what you see in the planner should match the blog.  I made one change to this last year, however, which should be noted:  the first day an assignment is written on the board, I will put an asterisk beside it.  Students MUST write that in their planner if it pertains to their grade.  Once that assignment has been on the board for more than one day (perhaps a Science lab that is due two weeks hence), the asterisk will be removed and the student will only have to write that assignment once more, that being the day that assignment is DUE.  This was done in an effort to streamline planner work and organization for the students.  I will continue to write up every assignment on the board for parents' information, regardless of whether the assignment is newly recorded or not.  If anyone would like clarification on this, by all means, feel free to contact me to chat.

Otherwise, here is what is on our homework board today (really more organizational than homework):

*1) Please bring a silent reading (SSR) book for Thursday

*2) Please bring $8 for the planner asap



Also, this was not on the homework board officially, but I have asked students bring a sketchbook for some art work we will be doing.  If this could be done by early next week, that would be appreciated.  I have talked extensively how an expensive sketchbook is not required and in fact, I can help any student to put together one from supplies I can find at school for free.  I only ask that students let me know if they require my help.

I also mentioned to the class this morning that if anyone has any old board games that are still in good condition that they would like to donate to the class for rainy days, that would be wonderful.  Of course, they must discuss any donations with you.

If you ever have questions about the blog or anything else, please feel free to phone me or email me to set up a time to talk.  I am also often available after school, but sometimes have to leave quickly to coach or to attend other meetings.

I am looking forward to a terrific year.  I can feel the energy from the students and I know they are ready to learn so much this year.